Thursday, June 11, 2009

There's Weather Here

I went to Bible study last night (Wed) where I play guitar each week. I'd just finished tuning up and chosen my songs when we were told that the tornado sirens were going.
3 of us did what any real man would do in the situation; we went outside into the parking lot to look around.I'd never heard real tornado sirens before and wanted to hear if they sounded anything like the old air-raid sirens they used to blow on Mondays at noon in San Diego in the 60s.
They were different; just a high pitched whine, not the ascending/descending sound you always hear in old movies.Having grown up in San Diego, I assumed tornadoes were kind of like earthquakes; yeah they could kill you, but most of the time you just ignored them.
About 20 of us gathered in a stairwell of the church and chatted for around an hour till we got the all-clear. It kind of reminded me of the church scene in "War of the Worlds", but without the big finish. If you're going to be caught in a natural disaster, what better place to be?
Right now it's 10:35 am Thursday and outside it looks like it's 10 at night, lightning about every 7 seconds or so.
thunder that is close, very loud, and sounds like trucks falling from the sky... cool.
I love this place.

1 Comments:

Blogger Baron said...

Ah the memories...tornado sirens in Manhattan KS...jumping out of the Healey to hide in a ditch when spotting a tornado on the other side of town, and how stupid it felt when all those other people drove on by looking at me like I was some kind of loon.

The electrical storms in Roanoke VA, especially the one that hit a tree not 50 yards from my apartment at the exact moment I was looking that direction. I cant forget how I was worried about my eyesight when the afterimage of the bolt remained only slightly dimmed some 20 minutes later. Split the tree in a very cartoonish way I might add.

Weather can be very impressive indeed.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home