Saturday, January 17, 2009

A story about a girl

In my opinion, one of the best pictures I ever took. She wasn't speaking to me, or even looking at me that day so I'm still not sure why she was so mad. I think it may have been that I played Beethoven's 9th on her car CD player. I knew she didn't like "shrill" sounds; they give her anxiety; but I didn't think classical music would set her off like, say, Hendrix would have.
We were on a trip to Yosemite with three of us in one car, two in the other. We hiked Glen Aulin that day where I took the shot, then drove south to Bishop for the night. I think if it weren't for the third person in our car I would have woken up the next day to find myself without a ride, my camping gear in the parking space she'd used the night before.
She didn't know I was taking her picture and I think that's one of the reasons it looks so good to me; it's so unposed, no mugging or forced smiles.
We didn't talk much for a couple of years while she was married to a friend of mine; no one wants former boyfriends hanging around. We became friends again after they got divorced though.
That friend of mine she married sold me an old guitar that has become very collectible and valuable since then. Our shared history with her gives the guitar a neat mojo for me. I call that old stratocaster Debra

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home