Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Gray whale off Point Loma

It recently occurred to me that with this blog I can post pictures I've taken. It takes forever to download on dial-up from home, but I may at last be forking out for DSL sometime soon.
The other day I went whale watching. This picture was taken about 2 miles off Point Loma - that's Mexico in the background. A word of advice; if you find yourself whale watching, don't expect much from your point & shoot digital camera. They take so long to focus you loose your shot. Even worse, they don't take the same amount of time to focus for every shot. As a whale surfaces to breathe, you must anticipate the timing of your camera with the timing of the tail breaking the surface. The result is a lot of pictures of where a whale recently was, or shots of the arch of it's back. You do get lucky on a few (like this one), but mostly you just drain your camera batteries. For comparison I'll post an SLR film picture I took off the coast of Kona (probably tomorrow).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home