Monday, November 27, 2006

Don't try this at home -try it in Kansas!

July,1976, Manhattan Kansas. When the hard working Fort Riley Police Dept. caught up with us the Pontiac Bonneville had just crashed into a tree. While my accomplice Bobby Reed (who claimed he could out-drive the cops just like Burt Reynolds...that is, the Bandit!) was trying to restart the engine, I got out of the car having decided to turn myself in. I had begun to doubt Bobby's skills -the Police hadn't crashed into anything yet. By the way, the old movie trick of pulling over, then taking off again when the cops don't suspect it doesn't work in Kansas (isn't that where they got John Dillinger?). After I was aimed at, shouted at and handcuffed, I was asked lots of questions about whether Bobby (they didn't actually know his name yet) was an armed and desperate felon vowing not to be taken alive, or was he just a dopey teenager in his grandfathers old car. Bobby had restarted the car and could be heard tearing around the area, police still in hot pursuit at 3am, tires squealing, sirens wailing.
My next phone call home to San Diego was not an easy one to make. I always hated telling my Dad that I had done something wrong.
The Bonneville needed a lot more attention than the tree did. Bobby's father probably made him wish he'd gone out in a blaze of glory. They were from The South and Mr Reed had that "Sheriff Buford T. Justice" vibe. At one point before I fled Kansas he explained that he'd be taking Bobby's share of the car repair bill out his son's rear end and asked if I wanted the same deal, or would I like to pay cash for my half of the damages. Parenting sure has come a long way, even in Manhattan KS I reckon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,
None of us could find trouble like you could!!
Chris

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home