Friday, November 10, 2006

Why Elephant races?




Elephant races? That was how my father used to describe the sound of my three siblings and me thundering from room to room (upstairs) as kids. Born between September 1959 and January 1963, I see my siblings as one of the greatest gifts I've received in life. We were four smart kids who loved making each other laugh; usually at the expense of someone on the "idiot box". We picked up our senses of humor from dad(mom was sort of "missing" for quite a few of those years). As a single parent working full time, there must have been many times that we tried dad's patience. Sometimes when we were all doing our best to make each other hysterical my dad would come in (annoyed) and tell us it sounded like an idiot contest. Though I can't recall a single time I wasn't declared the winner, I decided to name the blog Elephant Races. I've won and defended the idiot crown, there's nothing left for me to prove there.
The blog will touch on my family a lot, I'm sure. The blog's basically about me, but I'll do my best not to get self indulgent. My sibs and family mean a lot to me. I'll express that, and (I hope) tell a good story and make some people laugh.
-Steve

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me laugh out loud. How come all the things our parents said were threatening then, but now they make us laugh? Maybe I'm in the minority.

Nah. Keep going.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home