Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Always jokes, always rhymes.



Just for laughs I Googled "Happy Horace"... 310 hits! At the top of the list was this chap. Not how I pictured him.
We got some cool toys as kids; screaming fast cars with noisy zip cords, jumping plastic motorcycles, gyro-copters, plastic Alpha-Beta balls for three-flies-up, cap guns and caps that we would stack as high as possible then smash with a rock and... pea shooters. Whatever genius had the idea of packing 50 or so dried peas and a nice thick straw in a paper sack with a target printed on it deserved all the riches he got. Kids got a toy at the store for around 10 cents, just make sure to ask dad, not mom.
Also in the toy hall of fame (though not technically a toy) would be the portable cassette recorder I got as a present when I graduated form the 6th grade. With it I got Neil Diamond's "Stones" and Bread's "Baby I'm a Want You" (shrug). That would make the summer of 1971 the origin of the Happy Horace radio show.
I don't remember much of the shows, there was a dryer commercial Roger did in his silkiest "there, there" announcer voice... (normal, ^ ^ delicate, ...click). The intro where Horace had to be woken (real word?) up.. "I don't want to go to the store". The faux Bozo show with "Butcha Bwoah" and nasal caffeination.
We cracked ourselves up. I'll bet those tapes still would. Mom eventually annexed the recorder so she could sing along with "Jesus Christ Superstar" while in the bathtub. She also really liked singing to the Niel Diamond tape. Hmmm... I wonder if that thing was really meant for me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home